Thursday, October 23, 2008

A grip of short reviews [Comics!]

Right, so I've been lazy again. I'll quit saying that as, uh, I tend to say that a lot. Things have been really busy in my neck of the woods, and I'm even working on a couple projects.

That said, let's do a few short comic reviews, eh?


The Man With No Name #4













This comic is panned by some as boring and slow, but to me it's a nice, slow burn. Sure, each issue could hold three issues the way it's going, but TMWNN is just great to read for it's mood. Yeah, I don't know why Blondie has the weird font for his talky bubbles either. But I don't care. The art is sweet and, well, moody; and when the action does get going, it kicks ass. I have a feeling things will be heating up even more next issue. Lethality: The posse manages a daring escape only to have 4 out of the 5 of them shot off their horse by Josey Wales. They never even heard the shots.

-

Battlestar Galactica Origins #10











You know, at first I thought this particular end of the series was a bit too mashed together, and trying too hard to combine back-stories for Helo and Starbuck; but I'm pleased to say this issue is a marked improvement. The art is still kinda... eh. I know Lau is better than this... what's up? Maybe it's just me. On the plus side, the art isn't bad or anything-- so cool. The duo of writers seem to be gaining a nice pace and the story is goin' nice now. And what's up with the make-out sesh? 'Shippers: get some! Lethality: 3 raptors vaped, 1 cut in half, one got away back to it's battlestar.

-

Army of Darkness #13










The King For a Day story lands on our heads and holy crap do I LOVE IT. This series is one of the best things to read if you dig irreverent humour, wild action, monsters & the undead and, oh, the Evil Dead films. This is what I'm talking about folks. A great one-shot story that sets things up to come. Damn, this is a shining, bloody example of why I read comics. Army of Darkness movie lovers will love this one! Top bone-notch writing and killer art. Lethality: The entire platoon of Deadites were cut to pieces. Not even Sgt. Headstone could save them. He's back to being plain ol' dead, too.

-

Judge Dredd Megazine #276













Not much to say other than "a drokking gruddamned fine issue!". The real stand-out, though, is the Snow/Tiger Pax Americana single issue collection that's included. Andy Diggle and Andy Clarke need to do more with this vastly underappreciated anti-terorist high-tech hyper-violent thiller. And my fave thing of the bunch was the awesome sweet-as-Pye cover art. One of my faves in the last few years! Lethality: Total Block Kill. The usual, really.

-

The Boys #23










This series keeps getting better and better. Wow. We got more on The Seven, under-the-door wanking, Homelander saying "fuck" some more, Darick Robertson kicking so much art-ass that I'm wearing my balls as goggles right now, and a bunch of other stuff. The last page made me fall out of my chair. Nice one. Lethality: Total Super-jerk Party Kill. Not surprising.

--

Well, that's all the time I have for now, folks. Lot of Dynamite in there, yeah? Well, they mmake excellent comics, so I cannot help myself. I have some stuff from Boom! to read, which I think I'll get to today. As well as working on the new TPK, of course.

Cheers!

No comments: